My knowledge of orchestral music falls squarely between jack and diddly squat, so I don't have the refined perspective of an aficionado. Nonetheless, here's my six point review of the evening:
(1) I think the interior of the concert hall was uninspiring and already seems dated,
(2) Rite of Spring kicked ass and I can see why it provoked protests at it's debut,
(3) John Harbison's Symphony No. 4, which premiered this week, was stunningly beautiful,
(4) Dia related each piece to a film--"I need to see something"--and thought the Harbison symphony was the soundtrack to an undiscovered Hitchcock reel,
(5) I related to each piece by unintentionally sampling it and constructing mental tape loops of small chunks of sound, and
(6) I think it's crap that anyone would get bent out of shape by me silently taking a low resolution after performance camera phone snapshot of the orchestra.
Twas a fun and relaxing date night. Thanks George!